Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Breaking Free

A crystal clear day and a blustery wind frenetically whips and tosses branches and chickens hither and yon and into shape. It must be in the 60’s  but  I’m freezing. Once again my internal thermometer has acclimated to toasty climes.

We humans do acclimate, even if it doesn’t serve us! We burst forth into life and then settle into habits that lock and block forward movement and true living in the present, and we don’t even notice until the habit produces restlessness or emptiness or  crisis.  Those chickens out there are being buffeted about and complaining with every blast, but they are awake!

From Wordsworth:
Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life’s star, Hath had elsewhere its setting;
And cometh from afar: Not in entire forgetfulness, and not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory….

Not in utter forgetfulness and not in utter nakedness . There’s hope.

Last week I experienced a lesson which resulted in my being buffeted about. My need created a breakdown in communication and I was left shivering in the wind, naked. My soul created this so that I would wake up and see. Thank you, need.

A wee cloud of glory today.

No comments:

Post a Comment